TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (August 25, 2017) – Tallahassee Community College head cross country coach Gary Droze has announced his 2017 signing class.
Droze, who will coach both the men and women for Tallahassee, will open the season with five participants on each roster.
"The women have a lot of work to do in order to reach our season goal of improving on the team average time at last year's region championship," said Droze. "However, the talent is there, as well as the motivation.
"For the men, we aim to get all of them able to handle the college cross country distance of 8K, which is significantly longer than the 5K they ran in high school. Like the women, the men are excited about meeting the challenge.
"Beyond that, my goal is to develop the top runners from both squads into performers that will draw interest from NCAA and NAIA coaches. Early on, we expect Big Bend standouts Meagan Giddens (Sophomore/Perry, Fla./Florida Atlantic University) and Gatlin Nennstiel (Freshman/Monticello, Fla./Aucilla Christian School) to lead the way."
Here is the Eagles' 2017 opening day cross country roster:
- Tunde Azikwe – Freshman/Lafayette, Ind./Lafayette Jefferson HS
- Kelvin Brown – Freshman/Crestview, Fla./Bethune-Cookman University
- Joshua Guest – Freshman/Callahan, Fla./Mandarin HS
- Gatlin Nennstiel – Freshman/Monticello, Fla./Aucilla Christian Academy
- Travis Parks – Freshman/Crawfordville, Fla./Wakulla HS
- Olnick Duverge – Sophomore/Pompano Beach, Fla./Florida Atlantic University
- Meagan Giddens – Sophomore/Perry, Fla./Florida Atlantic University
- Ashley Maxwell – Freshman/Tallahassee, Fla./Valencia College
- India Morris – Freshman/Lake City, Fla./Columbia HS
- Rachel Williams – Freshman/Altha, Fla./Chipola College
For more information on the Eagles' cross country signees, visit TCCeagles.com.
Both teams will open the 2017 cross country season on Friday afternoon at the Cougar XC Challenge, hosted by Godby High School. The event will take place at Phipps Park beginning with the men's race at 5 p.m.